Monday, April 23, 2012

Asteroids:Eyewitness Accounts of a Daytime Meteor Fireball Over Nevada and California

According to NBC News 4, a daylight meteor was spotted after 8 a.m. PST as it traveled from northern Nevada to California. Eyewitness accounts of the streaking light accompanied by a sonic boom flooded in from Lake Tahoe, El Dorado County, Placer County, Tuolumne County, Amador County and Nevada County.
click image

According to eyewitness Jenae Neu who spoke with the Reno Gazette-Journal, the fireball was dazzling: "I was outside my apartment and saw a huge bright thing in the corner of my eye," Neu said. "I looked up and saw a huge bright ball with some sort of tail. It looked like it was about 100 yards away and it only lasted about two seconds before it went behind a hill that’s close to my place. It was like nothing I've ever seen. It was crazy."
Interestingly, this event coincided with the Lyrid meteor shower that peaked over the weekend, but just because the daytime meteor occurred at the same time, it doesn't mean the two events are connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment