Saturday, May 12, 2012

Remembering my Aunt Jan.

It should not be surprising to those who knew her that I also think about my Aunt Jan around Mother's Day. To think of her is to remember a wonderful person that was never loud, angry, or intrusive. My Aunt Jan was the very person to show me that reading books was a pleasure not a burden. Aunt Jan was the person that introduced me to another genre of novels other than Science Fiction. When she read she insisted on diversity; horror, sci-fi, drama, romance...it didn't matter to my Aunt Jan.
 Aunt Jan gave me her copy of Steven King's 'The Stand' and I read it cover to cover.Since then I've read everything King has written and read most of his contemporaries works. She was right, horror can move you!
She could digest a book in one sitting, she could read in a room full of people&activity and be a part of everything going on.
 Aunt Jan passed away around a decade ago. The world is a lesser place without her in it.
A few years ago my cousin Vicki sent me one of my Aunt Jan's original copies of Steven King's 'Dead Zone'. It is one of my most cherished possessions.
I would give anything to let her know that her influence culminated in my becoming a published author.
Aunt Jan and I never said it to each other very often, but I did love her very much.
Thank you Aunt Jan for being such a positive influence in my life.
I will always miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment