Thursday, February 9, 2012

Unusual Presidental Quotes

44 Presidents and 44 Unusual Quotes in Order
Some quotes are funny some are different, and some are just plain strange,
but all of them are cool. Enjoy.

Barack Obama-"Look, when I was a kid, I inhaled frequently. That was the point."
George  Bush-“I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family.”
Bill Clinton-"Being president is like running a cemetery: you've got a lot of people under you and nobody's listening."
George Bush Sr.-"Fluency in English is something that I'm often not accused of."
 
Ronald Reagan-“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
Jimmy Carter-"I have often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can't get my wife to go swimming."
Gerald Ford-"Things are more like they are now than they have ever been."
Richard M. Nixon-"I won't shake hands with anybody from San Francisco."
 Lyndon B. Johnson- “Did you ever think that making a speech on economics is a lot like pissing down your leg? It seems hot to you, but it never does to anyone else.”
 John F. Kennedy-“Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.”
Dwight D. Eisenhower- “This desk of mine is one at which a man may die, but from which he cannot resign.”
Harry S Truman-“If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt-“A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk forward.”
Herbert Hoover- “Blessed are the young, for they will inherit the national debt.”
Calvin Coolidge-"You lose." (after a woman told him she made a bet that she could get at least three words of conversation from him) Coolidge was considered a man of very,very few words.
Warren G. Harding-"I don't know much about Americanism, but it's a damn good word with which to carry an election."
Woodrow Wilson-“Golf is a game in which one endeavors to control a ball with implements ill adapted for the purpose."
William H. Taft-“I'll be damned if I am not getting tired of this. It seems to be the profession of a President simply to hear other people talk. ”
Theodore Roosevelt-“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.”
William McKinley-"I have never been in doubt since I was old enough to think intelligently that I would someday be made President."
Grover Cleveland- “Sensible and responsible women do not want to vote. The relative positions to be assumed by man and woman in the working out of our civilization were assigned long ago by a higher intelligence than ours.” Cleveland was the 22nd and 24th president
Benjamin Harrison-We Americans have no commission from God to police the world.
Grover Cleveland(again)-"A man is known by the company he keeps, and also by the company from which he is kept out."Cleveland was the 22nd and 24th president
Chester A. Arthur-I may be president of the United States, but my private life is nobody's damned business.
James A. Garfield- “Man cannot live by bread alone; he must also have a little peanut butter.”
Rutherford B. Hayes-“An amazing invention - but who would ever want to use one?” (sharing his thoughts about the telephone)
Ulysses S. Grant-“I know only two tunes: One of them is 'Yankee Doodle' and the other isn't.” 
Andrew Johnson-Washington, DC is 12 square miles bordered by reality." 
Abraham Lincoln-"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
James Buchanan-"I have seldom met an intelligent person whose views were not narrowed and distorted by religion."
Franklin Pierce-“There's nothing left…but to get drunk.” (After losing the Democratic nomination)
Zachary Taylor-"It would be judicious to act with magnanimity towards a prostrate foe."
James K. Polk-"No President who performs his duties faithfully and conscientiously can have any leisure."
James Tyler-"Patronage is the sword and cannon by which war may be made on the liberty of the human race."
William Henry Harrison-"To Englishmen, life is a topic, not an activity."
Martin Van Buren-"As to the presidency, the two happiest days of my life were those of my entrance upon the office and my surrender of it."
Andrew Johnson-"The bank, Mr. Van Buren, is trying to kill me, but I will kill it." (when talking to future president Martin Van Buren)
John Quincy Adams-"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
James Monroe-"The payments which have been made into the Treasury show the very productive state of the public revenue."
James Madison-"Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government."
Thomas Jefferson -“Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.”
John Adams- “Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.”

No comments:

Post a Comment