Saturday, June 16, 2012

Father's Day 2012: Carlos M. Cox 1933 - 2008

It is Father's Day again and I ponder my relationship with my father. Gone now these last four years and many is the time I have thought to call and consult him, just to sadly remember; he's no longer there.
But, I can still smile remembering how he loved me to his last days.
Thanks Daddy.

My father raised me with a stern front. He was firm but fair. I am a better man for being his son.
By his bare logic and his stark truths I give him the credit for the following in my life:
I have never been in jail.
I have never been sued.
I owe no man anything.
I have earned my way and never collected unemployment or a government check.
I give my word sparingly; break it and it is forever flawed. 
I've always paid my taxes.
I have never struck a woman.
Nor have I ever cheated on my spouse.
A handshake is as good as a signature.
I vote.
There is more but this gets the point across I hope.
My father the Reverend Carlos Monroe Cox 1933 - 2008
I will forever miss the man, my Dad.
More of what kind of a man my father was:
Dad's Desperate Wisdom
A true short story I've written about my father and how he saved his family from a terrible fate. 


1 comment:

  1. all this is so true, I miss daddy so much and regret the times I could have seen him and didn't. Too many memories around fathers day, it makes me want to cry. Thanks for writing this big brother, as always your words are best.

    ReplyDelete